Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Home in Althornbach, Germany

My brother travels quit a bit with his postion at Microsoft which gives him the opportunity to visit some of the places we lived as children when dad was in the military. While he and his wife were visiting Germany he went to Althornbach and took some pictures of a house we lived in while stationed there. Most of the cities we were stationed in we lived in the family baracks, but we got to live in the city with the civilians at Althornbach and it was a great experience for us all. That's where I learned to speak German, while playing with the german kids. I have lots of memories of this house. I especially remember the coal drop and having to go down into the creepy, dark and spider infested basement and fetch coal. It probably wasn't as bad as I remember it.

This is a back view of the house. I remember this well. I especially remeber that little balcony. My sister Luann threw a doll that I loved with all my heart off that balcony once when she got mad at me. My poor doll was never the same after that. It was terribly traumatic (she says dripping with sarcasm). One of my best memories was when all of us kids would get together in an upstairs "play room" that had wood floors and we would play "foot eater"? I think that's what we called it. We would all wear socks and the designated foot eater had to move around on all fours.........while all the rest of us skidded frantically around on the hard wood floor trying to get away from the dreaded foot eater before he caught us and ate our feet. Ah....good times. I can't imagine what that must have sounded like to my parents underneath us. But maybe that was a small price to pay for all six of us to be out of their hair for a few short minutes.

This is the back yard. I spent lots of time back there. We had a vegatable garden, mom always made sure that if we had a patch of ground somewhere, we were growing vegetables. I know I griped a lot about weeding and watering, but some of my best memories are being in the garden with my mom. I now love growing things.......just about anything, and I know it was because of mom and her gardens. Anyway, one of the most poignant memories I have are of my brothers pouring salt on the slugs in the garden. They thought it was so cool to watch them shrivel up. I hated it and thought for sure I could hear little slug screams while they melted under the salt.


Here are some other pictures of the church we went to and of the farm house across the street from us. I don't have as many memories as the rest of my siblings, except that the services at church were in German, I was bored and would play with my dad's huge hands. Funny the things we remember.


5 comments:

dave said...

hi kat I enjoy your site and love the pics of althornbach so much I was there in 1966-67 I had a girl friend there and we had a daughter together who Ive never seen make me sad I was wondering if u had any advice as how I might find her

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing the photos of the little village of Althornbach. I lived there from 9/77 - 11/81 as a young couple when my husband was stationed at the Zweibrucken AFB. I worked at the Bavarian Inn and ice skating rink for 3 years. We had an old VW bus and traveled thru Europe.
I remember going up on the hill and watching soccer games, walking through the forests and hills all around the village. Setting off fireworks on New Year's Even, eating and drinking at the gausthaus and beer tents. All of my memories are fond ones!

Horst said...

Hallo von California ventura on the beach .lebte in Althornbach 1945-48 geb.45 in Viernheim, meine Mutter Auguste Fuß ,Oma Anna wuerde mich freuen Whe jemand meine Mutter kannte moeschte gerne meinen Vaters Namen wissen er hatte meine Mutter besucht mit einem weisen Pferd glaube hans of Johann war sein Name. Liebe mein kleines Dorf WHO einst meine Wiege stand

Horst said...

Kennt jemand meine Mutter Auguste Fus und Mother Anna Fus Turnstrasse

Horst said...

Dankeschön HR